Monday, August 29, 2011

restoring my faith in humanity

Sorry today's post isn't nail related, but I thought I'd share a story with you all:

I work at a fast food chain restaurant, and sometimes people come in that don't have much.  They try to scrape enough together just to get a little one dollar item to keep themselves fed.  Today, a man like this came in.  He is homeless had been drinking, but you could tell he hadn't eaten in a while.  He had a beaten up can of cheap ravioli and asked if he could have it heated up and a large soda to go with it.  Of course, we couldn't heat up his ravioli, but I tried to sell him the soda.  He didn't have enough to get the large soda, so I gave him a smaller one with a discount to be able to fit his means.  He complained that it wasn't big enough.  Eventually, he sat down in the dining room quietly and began to eat his ravioli cold and right out of the can.

A few minutes before this all happened, a man came in just as anyone else would and ordered his meal.  I didn't think twice about this man until he came back up to the register and asked to buy another meal (the biggest one we have).  I asked him if it was to go (because he had already eaten), but he told me he was buying it for the man with the ravioli.  I couldn't believe it.  I simply told him that he was very kind and gave him the receipt for the food.  As I turned away, I couldn't help but tear up.  This man went out of his way to help out another man in need.  The homeless man didn't express any gratification.  Didn't even say thank you.  Even so, the other man left the building with a smile, knowing that he had done something that not many are willing to do.

If I could meet this man again, I would tell him that he is the most kind person I have met in a very long time.


Please, if any of you know people out there that are this kind, let them know.  They need to be appreciated.  And if you are one of these people, I appreciate you.

This was just what I needed at the end of a long work week (for me, anyway).

<3

8 comments:

  1. You made me tear up. *sniff* You are right, not enough kindness in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was so nice of him! its good hearing there are still kind hearted people like this out there }

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. It's people like that who we need more of. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this thoughtful and touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just be a jerk here? The guy didn't even thank him for his kindness? This is the reason why more people don't do these types of nice things! The people in need can't even express gratitude! Did he even eat the food?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was really disappointed that the homeless man didn't express any gratitude, but he did eat the food.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment from all of you! However, please refrain from link spamming me. If you comment, I will most likely check out your blog, but if you drop links here, I will delete the comment. I don't think it's fair to my other readers to have to deal with a bunch of links in my comments, which is why I moderate all comments. That being said, I welcome any and all comments about this blog, and I truly appreciate everyone who comes here to read <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...